Saturday, April 11, 2015

Running for a Cause

Today, my family participated in our city's run for autism. The purpose of the event was to raise money to help pay for therapy for families who cannot afford it. Sam is blessed to receive Applied Behavior Analysis therapy.


He loves his therapists, and we have seen the wonderful results that this particular kind of therapy can bring. We wish every child with autism could receive ABA. So suiting up for the race was a no-brainer.


Today's event reminded me of another race...one that all of us are running daily. In the race of life, some run for fame or glory. Others run for position or power. Many run for money or material possessions. Or perhaps for family or friends.

According to the Bible, none of these causes will bring eternal satisfaction. Ecclesiasties 2:17 says, "So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind."

Ok, so what cause is worth all the fuss of life? Does it exist? I believe 1 Corinthians 10:31 gives the answer for why you and I are here on this earth. "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

Sometimes that is easier said than done. Distractions come at us from every side. The enemy does his best to thwart our best laid plans. We get down. We feel like giving up. We take a detour not meant for us. Our run becomes more of a crawl. We lose sight of our purpose.

What do we do then? In Philippians 3:13-14, the apostle Paul says, "Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

We must press on. We must remove the things from our lives that weigh us down on our path. And we must focus again on the One who laid the path before us.


Are you on a detour? Change direction and press on. Have you recently taken a fall? Get back up and press on. Are you carrying a heavy burden? Lay it down at the feet of Jesus and press on.

At the end of your life, I hope you can echo 2 Timothy 4:7 which says, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."


How is the view from your path today? Whatever it is, know that God is running with you.

In Jesus' name, we press on.



No comments:

Post a Comment